I have just come home from whales, volcanoes and hot springs = Iceland!
Our first stop after landing was a visit to the Blue Lagoon. It is near the airport, and a visit straight from the airport is actually a nice way to get into a holiday spirit. We ate lunch at Restaurant Lava at the Lagoon. A good lunch buffet.
Our hotel was the Hotel Fron, nicely located in Reykjavik. The Hotel also offers apartments.
We got to see all the must-see things. If you go on the Golden Circle Trip, you get them all in a day: Thingvellir, Gullfoss, the geysers and Skálholt. All interesting and beautiful.
We had lunch at Hotel Geysir. From the Hotel you can see the geysers. The restaurant has a viking theme.
We also got to go on a whale safari, and we saw two minke whales and a porpoise. Do bring a lot of warm clothes and water proof clothing. The boats are small and there are waves, so do not go if you are prone to get sea sick. Some of the other passagers did not enjoy the trip at all!
One evening we went to Harpa, the concert hall in Reykjavik. We saw How to become Icelandic in 60 minutes. The show is in English and is very funny! Do swing by as the building is very beautiful.
We also got a VIP tour and a lecture amongst the Icelandic manuscripts, and a tour of the University. We were lucky enough to even meet Auður Hauksdóttir, the head of the Vigdís Finnbogadóttir-institute. I was even more impressed when Vigdís Finnbogadóttir joined our tour!! To top off the visit Einar Már Guðmundsson read some of his work for us! I do love the Icelandic way of story telling, so I will be reading more of his works.
The trip was very enjoyable, and it is definitely not my last trip to this beautiful island! Before you go here are some tips:
1) The weather is always worse than you think. Bring a hat, mittens, woollen sweaters, your warmest winter coat and all your rain proof clothing!
2) Shops open around 10-11 am.
3) Most people in Iceland understand and speak Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish and Danish, besides English!
4) Order fish and lam when in Iceland. It’s very good here. Great places for dining out: Perlan, Restaurant Reykjavik and Café Paris.
5) As a dane remember taxfree shopping from 4000 isk (200 DKK).